About E.A.S.T

East Anglian Stitch Textiles (E.A.S.T) was formed in 1995 in response to a demand for a self-supporting framework for textile artists in East Anglia, UK.


The membership of this group commenced with ten artists and now has fifteen.


Since it's inception E.A.S.T has had a close relationship with Braintree District Museum where it meets monthly and held the first E.A.S.T exhibition in 1997.The group continues to be mentored by Anthea Godfrey, Artistic Director of the Embroiderer's Guild.

Friday, 20 October 2017

Jenny's experiments with fermentation dyeing.
 I think this must be the slowest form of dyeing as it is done cold. I started with weld which wasn't very successful, but red cabbage has been very exciting.
I chopped up a quarter of a red cabbage very small and put it in a clean plastic milk bottle with the lid on. I shook it 3 times a day and let out the gasses, it was kept in the dark and after 4 days this was the result.
I know that red cabbage is very sensitive to the PH, so I tried painting the silk with washing soda, that is an alkaline ph.
This was quite a startling colour, and so far after a month it hasn't changed. so then I tried lemon juice, this goes a very pretty pink, but it did tend to rinse out.
Iron water made from [ferrous sulphate] turn the silk blue and does seem colour fast at the moment.
finally I did a black berry leaf print, not such a good result.
I shall have to see how the colour lasts, red cabbage is notoriously good at fading, the idea is that the fermentation will help the colour to stay.
  Now I have started 2 more one with buckthorn bark, I have kept the PH high by adding slaked lime, this took much longer about 3 weeks but I am pleased with the red colour.
I now have a birch bark vat going, it is supposed to make pink, but after nearly 3 weeks I am not sure yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment